Bury police murder probe: Police identify 60-year-old victim

Image copyright Ellie Robertson Image caption Fliers have been distributed in Bury to try to get people to come forward

Police are investigating the death of a 60-year-old woman who died after being attacked in her home.

Cpt Malcolm Smith said the woman’s family have been informed and a man in his 30s has been arrested.

The woman was found at her home in Mottram Crescent in Bury on Sunday evening. She died in hospital on Monday.

Police are investigating what happened to the woman, who was discovered by police called to reports of a violent domestic incident.

Image copyright PA Image caption Police have recovered evidence from the scene

Stuart Roberts, 42, from Bury, is being quizzed at Manchester police station on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

He will be interviewed by detectives at a later date.

Cpt Smith said the man had been arrested with the assistance of Greater Manchester Police liaison officers and arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm.

Image copyright Ellie Robertson Image caption Police left the home on Tuesday morning

He added that the man had been living with the victim, who was married, for some time.

He declined to give any further details on the victim or the circumstances of her death.

Image copyright Ellie Robertson Image caption Ellie Robertson spent Monday afternoon at the scene, speaking to neighbours

Cpt Smith said: “She was attacked in her home and at this time the investigation is very much in its early stages.

“We have information we are working on but we can’t go into detail at this time.”

Officers are appealing for anyone who may have seen Mr Roberts at the house since Saturday night, or who might have information about what happened, to contact the police.

Witnesses are asked to call police on 101, quoting incident number 5418 of 23 March.

Police later confirmed they were also investigating claims that a silver Vauxhall Astra was involved in the attack.

The car was spotted in Wards Green, Bury, on the day police were called to the address.

An investigating officer said: “We’re continuing to gather information to establish the circumstances surrounding this incident.”

Leave a Comment